Friday, December 5, 2008

Poem: Pin Strike


I have only been bowling about 8 times in my life. Its fun, but its not one of those activities that occurs to me to do out of the blue. But for 95 million people in the world, the art of rolling a ball and knocking down pins, is a regular hobby. Its strange, but understandable. It takes skill, it's social, and people have been doing it for around 2400 years. That's right! Its been around a long time.

Originally, the illustration for this poem was going to created in a 3D application and rendered out with beautiful shadows and reflections. This was because instead of the kids standing in fright, the original image was going to be of the pins attacking in a similar formation. 3D bowling pins with eyes would have been a fun thing to see in a realistic style. However, as I was sketching out ideas, I realized that this didn't really sell the punchline of the poem. Changing the attacking pins to scared kids made me laugh as I drew it and I knew it was the right thing to do..

No comments: